Application process for full-time programs
Please review the admission process below to apply for our full-time diploma programs, including the following:
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning with Related Plumbing and Electrical
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Welding with Print Reading and Math
- Intergenerational programs
For information about the Practical Nursing admission process, please click here.
The Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center (GACTC) welcomes all interested individuals to submit applications for admission into GACTC full-time programs. Acceptance to GACTC and the intended adult education program is based upon the following admission criteria and availability in the intended program.
To be considered for admission for a full-time adult education program, prospective students must complete the following:
- Application for Admission (form below).
- Official copy of the applicant’s final high school transcript, documentation of completion of a high school equivalency (i.e. GED), or equivalent foreign education as verified by a GACTC-approved credential evaluation service. Applicants who apply during their senior year of high school must provide an official copy of their final transcript following graduation from high school.
- PA Criminal Record Information: Applicants must submit a Criminal Background History from the PA State Police that is within 1 year of the date of the application to the GACTC for purposes of employment. Applicants may request the background record from the PATCH system at https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp. The PA State Police Criminal Background check requires a $22.00 for processing. GACTC reserves the right to deny applicants to post-secondary educational programs based on the results of the criminal background check. GACTC reserves the right to accept an applicant with a criminal background based on the severity, date(s), and frequency of the conviction(s).
- PA Child Abuse Clearance: Applicants must submit a PA Child Abuse Clearance that is within 1 year of the date of application to the GACTC. To request this clearance, please visit https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home to create an individual account. Please follow the instructions to apply for the PA Child Abuse History Clearance. The purpose of the clearance is School Employee. When your report is ready (you will receive an email when it is ready), please provide to the Continuing Education office. There is a $13.00 fee for the PA Child Abuse History Clearance. The GACTC reserves the right to deny applicants entrance to post-secondary educational programs based on the results of the PA Child Abuse Clearance.
- Meeting with Continuing Education Office to review intended program expectations, recommended academic preparedness, program format, tuition, and financial aid information. A visit with the intended program may be required. Remedial coursework and/or tutoring may also be required to ensure a student’s success in an intended program.
- Upon admission to GACTC and the program, a $100 registration fee is required for all full-time programs. This fee is non-refundable and guarantees the student’s seat in the program.
GACTC reserves the right to deny admission and/or readmission to any student for an adult education program if, in the opinion of GACTC authorities, his/her admission is not in the best interest of the student or GACTC.