Clinical duties vary, but may include:
- medical history and physicals
- vital signs
- patient education
- preparing and assisting patients for examinations
- electrocardiography (CET)
Administrative duties include, but are not limited to:
- telephone triage
- patient reception and discharge
- medical records
- bookkeeping and accounting
- insurance, medical billing and coding
- inpatient and outpatient appointment scheduling
Students complete the following courses, preparing graduates for immediate employment as a medical assistant:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Accounting Concepts/Payroll
- Communication Fundamentals
- Electronic Health Records
- Intro to Medical Assistant
- Medical ICD and CPT Coding
- Medical Math
- Medical Office Procedures
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Transcription Theory/Application
- Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Clinical Procedures I, II, III (Pharmacology), IV (Lab)
- Clinical V (Externship)
- Theory, on-site practicum, and an externship are integrated into this intensive 11-month full-time program. Upon successful completion of the Medical
- Assistant program, students are eligible to sit for the national certification examination through the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
- Additionally, students are also eligible to sit for the national certification examinations in phlebotomy (CPT) and electrocardiography (CET) through the
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
Of our 2018 graduates, 80% passed the Certified Medical Assistant exam through AAMA. For the admission cohort beginning in August 2017, 83.3% were retained through the completion of the Medical Assistant program at the GACTC. For 2016 and 2017, 75% of the graduates of the Medical Assistant program at the GACTC have achieved career placement in field.
Graduates of the Medical Assistant Program have been employed at local facilities including:
- Blair Gastroenterology Associates
- Cardiology Associates
- Conemaugh Nason
- Pediatric Care Specialists
- UPMC Altoona
- UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
The GACTC Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) 25400 US Highway 19N, Suite 18, Clearwater, FL 33763 upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB) through the AAMA.
Graduates of the GACTC Medical Assistant diploma program have the opportunity to complete an associate degree with several local colleges and universities. Please contact the Continuing Education office for details.