The Baking and Pastry program provides the opportunity for students to acquire a wide variety of skills and knowledge. Students will learn the basics of mixing, shaping and baking for various baked goods including quick breads, cakes, pastry doughs, mousses, sauces, glazes, cookies, candies and confections. Through a well-rounded learning experience in both the building blocks of the pastry arts and more finely-tuned training, we help you shape your unique role in this field.
Students will have the opportunity to go beyond baking and pastry fundamentals by exploring more specialized areas such as: baking artisan breads, creating and decorating cakes, molecular gastronomy, learning to create signature desserts, and more.
There are many different career paths and environments within the baking industry. By narrowing down the type of career you want and the atmosphere you want to be a part of, you can make it easier to choose the type of baking school that matches your goals. Common careers within this field include baker, pastry chef, and commercial baker, while job settings range from hotels, restaurants and bakeries to grocery stores and baking manufacturing companies.
WHAT CAN STUDENTS EXPECT?
- Be self-motivated independently or in teams
- Be able to master measurement requirements, including division and multiplication of fractions
- Stand for long periods of time
- Comprehend written and verbal instructions
- Perform repetitive work motion requiring hands-on skills
- Possess a neat appearance and good personal hygiene
- Patience and attention for small details