Full-Time Program | CIP Code 51.0801
The Medical Assistant diploma program prepares individuals with the skills and knowledge to perform administrative and clinical tasks in healthcare delivery settings.
Clinical duties vary, but may include:
- medical history and physicals
- vital signs
- patient education
- preparing and assisting patients for examinations
- electrocardiography (CET)
Administrative duties include, but are not limited to:
- telephone triage
- patient reception and discharge
- medical records
- bookkeeping and accounting
- insurance, medical billing and coding
- inpatient and outpatient appointment scheduling
Students complete the following courses, preparing graduates for immediate employment as a medical assistant:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Accounting Concepts/Payroll
- Communication Fundamentals
- Electronic Health Records
- Intro to Medical Assistant
- Medical ICD and CPT Coding
- Medical Math
- Medical Office Procedures
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Transcription Theory/Application
- Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Clinical Procedures I, II, III (Pharmacology), IV (Lab)
- Clinical V (Externship)
Theory, on-site practicum, and an externship are integrated into this intensive 11-month full-time program. Upon successful completion of the Medical Assistant program, students are eligible to sit for the national certification examination through the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA). Additionally, students are also eligible to sit for the national certification examinations in phlebotomy (CPT) and electrocardiography (CET) through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
For the admission cohort beginning in August 2017, 83.3% were retained through the completion of the Medical Assistant program at the GACTC. For 2016 and 2017, 75% of the graduates of the Medical Assistant program at the GACTC have achieved career placement in field.
The GACTC Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) 25400 US Highway 19N, Suite 18, Clearwater, FL 33763 upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB) through the AAMA.
Graduates of the GACTC Medical Assistant diploma program have the opportunity to complete an associate degree with several local colleges and universities. Please contact the Continuing Education office for details.
Take the next step!
Please contact us to schedule a tour and to meet with a career counselor to discuss your career goals and this program. Complete this short form to request more information and to schedule a tour, or call us as 814.941.TECH.
We welcome your application to the Medical Assistant program. To learn more about the admission process, please visit https://www.gactc.edu/domain/74.
Estimated Tuition & Fees: $15,895 (includes a laptop)
Schedule: September through August, Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
· Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Word
· American Heart Association CPR & First Aid
· OSHA 10-hour Healthcare certification
· Mental Health First Aid
· Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) through AAMA
· Phlebotomy & EKG Technician through NHA