Students gain knowledge and experience with the following:
- administrative assistant skills
- medical terminology
- anatomy and physiology
- medical office procedures
- medical coding, billing, and insurance
- electronic health records
- Microsoft Office applications
Medical Administrative Assistants’ duties may vary, but typically include:
- scheduling patient appointments
- completing insurance forms
- interviewing patients to complete case histories or intake applications
- triaging phones and correspondence
- maintaining medical records and other office files
Students complete the following courses, preparing graduates for immediate employment as a medical administrative professional:
- Accounting, including QuickBooks
- Anatomy & Physiology I & II
- Electronic Health Records
- Business Communications
- Medical Coding & Insurance
- Medical Math
- Medical Office Procedures
- Medical Terminology I & II
- Microsoft Office
Students will complete a 210-hour internship upon completion of the required coursework. Upon successful completion of the program, students earn a diploma.
GACTC high school students that successfully completed the Health Occupations program (CIP code 51.0899) may be eligible to exempt from 9 credits (3 courses) in the Medical Administrative Assistant diploma program.
Although not required for many medical office positions, graduates of the GACTC Medical Administrative Assistant program have the opportunity to complete associate and/or bachelor degree programs with several local colleges and universities. Please contact the Continuing Education office for details.
The GACTC welcomes all interested individuals to apply for admission into our career training programs. Review the admissions requirements and apply now at https://www.gactc.edu/adult-education/how-to-enroll/.
Health Examination Form, completed by a licensed medical professional. Students are required to be screened for Tuberculosis by having a mantoux (2 Step PPD) test, IGRA blood test, or, if deemed necessary, a chest X-ray. Negative results must be submitted to the Continuing Education Office prior to the first day of the required internship. Students are required to have a physical including a Hepatitis B vaccination and other certain immunizations.