Medical Office Specialist
Full-Time Program | CIP Code 51.0710
The Medical Office Specialist diploma program is designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge to perform clerical duties within a medical setting. Students gain knowledge and experience with the following:
- administrative assistant skills
- medical terminology
- anatomy and physiology
- medical office procedures
- medical coding, billing, and insurance
- manual and computerized accounting
- electronic health records
- Microsoft Office applications
Medical Office Specialists' duties may vary, but typically include:
- scheduling patient appointments
- completing insurance forms
- interviewing patients to complete case histories or intake applications
- triaging phones and correspondence
- maintaining medical records and other office files
Students complete the following courses, preparing graduates for immediate employment as a medical office professional:
- Accounting, including QuickBooks
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Communication Fundamentals
- Electronic Health Records
- Medical ICD and CPT Coding
- Medical Math
- Medical Office Procedures
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Transcription Theory/Application
- Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
Students may complete an optional internship upon completion of the above courses.
Although not required for many medical office positions, graduates of the GACTC Medical Office Specialist program have the opportunity to complete an associate degree with several local colleges and universities. Please contact the Continuing Education office for details.
Take the next step!
Please contact us to schedule a tour and to meet with a career counselor to discuss your career goals and this program. Complete this short form to request more information and to schedule a tour, or call us as 814.941.TECH.
We welcome your application to the Medical Office Specialist program. To learn more about the admission process, please visit https://www.gactc.edu/domain/74.
Estimated Tuition & Fees: $12,111.00 (Students may be required to purchase equipment and materials not included in the tuition and fees, including, but not limited to, a laptop.)
Schedule: August through June, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
· Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Word, Excel & PowerPoint
· American Heart Association CPR & First Aid
· Mental Health First Aid
· Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) through NHA