Application process for full-time programs
Full-time programs include:
- Administrative Office Specialist
- Expanded Functional Dental Assistant
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
The Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center (GACTC) welcomes all interested individuals to submit applications for admission into GACTC full-time programs. Acceptance to GACTC and the intended adult education program is based upon the following admission criteria and availability in the intended program.
To be considered for admission for a full-time adult education program, prospective students must complete the following:
- Application for Admission, available online at www.gactc.edu or in print upon request.
- Official copy of the applicant’s final high school transcript, documentation of completion of a high school equivalency (i.e. GED), or equivalent foreign education as verified by a GACTC-approved credential evaluation service. Applicants who apply during their senior year of high school must provide an official copy of their final transcript following graduation from high school.
- If the applicant has attended another post-secondary institution (technical school, college or university), please submit unofficial transcripts. Please contact the Continuing Education Office to determine if transcripts must be submitted from previous post-secondary coursework.
- Criminal Background Clearance Form: Applicants must submit the Criminal Background Clearance form with the required fee to the Continuing Education Office for processing, or submit a Criminal Background Clearance that is within one year of the date of application to GACTC. GACTC reserves the right to deny applicants admission to post-secondary educational programs based on the results of the criminal background check. GACTC reserves the right to accept an applicant with a criminal background based on the severity, date(s), and frequency of the conviction(s).
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance: Applicants must submit a Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance that is within 1 year of the date of application to GACTC. The GACTC reserves the right to deny applicants admission to post-secondary educational programs based on the results of the PA Child Abuse Clearance.
- Meeting with Continuing Education Office to review intended program expectations, recommended academic preparedness, program format, tuition, and financial aid information. A visit with the intended program may be required. Remedial coursework and/or tutoring may also be required to ensure a student’s success in an intended program.
- Upon admission to GACTC and the program, a $100 registration fee is required for all full-time programs. This fee is non-refundable and guarantees the student’s seat in the program.
GACTC reserves the right to deny admission and/or readmission to any student for an adult education program if, in the opinion of GACTC authorities, his/her admission is not in the best interest of the student or GACTC.
Application process for short-term programs
Please contact the Continuing Education Office for information regarding the admission process for programs including, but not limited to, Phlebotomy and Nurse Aid.
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I register?
Short-term and full-time programs, applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
For individual courses, each course has a limited number of available seats. Please register early. Courses are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
What if a course/program is cancelled?
If there is insufficient enrollment in a particular course or program, you will be notified by the Continuing Education Office before the scheduled start date. You may change from your cancelled course or program to another course/program, depending upon availability, or you may request a full refund.
What day and time do the courses/programs individual course start?
Dates and times for all courses/programs are listed in the course/program description. If a course has TBA listed for a date and/or time, please contact the Continuing Education Office. Start dates and times are subject to change. You will be notified accordingly if changes are necessary.
What about inclement weather?
There are certain occasions that may require the GACTC to cancel class due to inclement weather. If the GACTC l is closed for the day due to weather conditions, all Continuing Education classes are also cancelled. If you are unsure if classes are in session, please contact the Continuing Education Office.
What is the refund policy?
Individual Courses: There will be no total refund of the registration fee. If a registrant seeks a refund before the first regularly scheduled class session, a minimum fee of five dollars ($5.00) will be withheld by the school. The request for refund must be in writing to the Coordinator of Continuing Education. There will be no refund after the first regularly scheduled class session. The GACTC requires a 24 hour notice for cancellation from a class.